• Investigate the means of developing and coordinating cooperation among member-organizations in the field of engineering, step up expertise and information exchange and unify engineering systems, standards and equipment in order to enhance the performance-levels of ASBU members.
• Work towards ensuring national control of adequate audio visual technology and follow up technology-related developments throughout the Arab world.
• Suggest ways and means of improving member-organizations’ management of their engineering departments.
• Address issues relative to engineering training in accordance with the mechanisms at work at ASBU
• Find adequate solutions, within ASBU, to any issues likely to occur due to engineering-related problems in both radio and television areas.
• Set up adequate engineering strategies to ensure broadcasting coverage of important sports, news and programmes events in
coordination with concerned departments.
• Propose engineering-related plans, studies and research work and supervise their implementation on the largest possible scale so as to extend their benefits to all ASBU members.
• Propose topics for engineering seminars and ensure their adequate planning, preparation and follow up.
• Develop cooperation relations with regional and international broadcasting unions in the engineering sector.
The Department is also active in the field of technical Training to achieve the following:
• Identify ASBU members’ needs in this sector
• Propose and evaluate annual training courses offered by the Arab radio and TV training centre.
• Discuss the requirements of Distant Training
In the Area of Satellites and Exchanges, the Department has the task to:
• Follow up technical activities relative to news and programme exchanges via the ASBU leased capacities on ARABSAT.
• Study possible alternatives to exchange via satellites and IT based networks.
• Follow up the implementation of ASBU TV exchange digitization via ARABSAT.
• Investigate ways and means of developing and coordinating cooperation among ASBU-members in the area of satellite uses.
• Follow up technical activites relative to ASBU Audio Exchange System.
• Study the modes of planning satellite radio and TV services for the benefit of ASBU members
Engineering Seminars, Symposia and Workshops
ASBU Organizes at least once a year an engineering seminar, symposium or workshop. During the last five years, themes covered were as follows:
• Digital Television delivery and cooperative network (18-20/10/2015)
• Implementation of Digital Radio Broadcasting Systems DAB/DRM (8-9/10/2014)
• ASBU/HFCC/ABU Global High frequency coordination conference -Tunis (28/01-01/02/2013)
• ASBU / EBU Week of Technology - Tunis (9-10/11/2012)
• Seminar on "Social Media" - Tunis (05/11/2012)
• Seminar on "Content Production and Operation Using Information Technologies" -Tunis (10-11/10/2011)